Monday, May 3, 2010

I May Be Falling For Jo'burg

Yet another business trip to Joburg in the bag! The fourth in 4 months. I’m about 36 000 ft in the air and gathering all my thoughts, feelings and revelations.

This time, unlike the other times, I found myself appreciating what Joburg had to offer. I actually saw it in a new light. I was starting to warm up to it.

Like it almost. (I know)

Well, in my newfound appreciations defense; there were many Cape Town faces that added to the journey. This leads me to believe that the people are the place. You can’t separate the 2. Okay maybe you can. But the people most certainly give it more flavour.

I went to the (very wet) “Back To The City” music festival in Newtown, where quite a few familiar faces (and voices) graced the stage. My legendary Love Guru was amongst the familiar faces.

Given the dismal situation with the rain and all; I was fortunate enough (1 friend of a friends cigarette later) to get a spot backstage. (Thanks to *Terry for the hook up!) Happily dry, sharing listening space with the performers and just soaking up the energy.
           
The next day I went to Bassline in Newtown to listen to some beats from Dj Khenzero and music from 5th Floor, Zaki Ibrahim, Mxo as well as ******. The refreshing & slightly loony Ayanda Njanya hosted the show.

Zaki delivered a flawless, hair raisingly awe-inspiring performance. She is a world-class performer and I want to introduce all my friends to her glorious voice and groove.  Even my bladder played along during her performance. Yes, That amazing.

There was something alluring about that city this time around. I can’t quite place my finger on it. Maybe it’s the bustle, the hustle, the towering buildings that make me feel insignificant, the pace, the newly uncovered art scene. But most of all; I suspect my willingness to open up and appreciate these offerings. To let the city feed my soul with what it had to offer. However different it is to what my current city of choice dishes out. (To an overly satisfied recipient)

Attitude is everything. Isn’t it?

I was contemplating naming this post “My slight attachment to Jozi” But that would be pushing it. Quite a bit at that. Baby Steps J. Baby Steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment