Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Day I Met *Frank



The day I met *Frank

This is one of the most unforgettable memories I will ever have. I have had this compulsion to share it for a while now. Purely selfish reasons I might add– I want to know that it was real. It did occur. It was real.

I was with a couple of  my colleagues who also happened to be my pals. We were sitting on the grass on a wine estate in Franschoek for a music festival. The air was beautiful, almost silky. The sunset that evening was breath taking. If it were an ointment it would cure heartache & suffering. That stunning.

We were getting ready to go backstage to do some interviews with some of the bands performing that night. Given this fact I could not consume any (or much) alcohol.

As we were sitting down something captured my attention. Like a kid I was drawn to the balls of light that were mesmerizing the crowd. I stood up and waited barely patiently for a turn to play with them.

The girl who tried it before me looked like she knew what she was doing. I was nervous. But more excited than anything.

I took them and went wild. It was definitely as fun as it looked.

A few meters away, I had unwittingly gained some fans. This made me more nervous and, naturally, I started making mistakes. It was still fun. I wanted to clutch on to them forever. But life awaited.

The first words I heard as I gave up the balls was “Wow, you captivated me”… I stood, flattered and flustered.

I confessed my lack of experience, but they didn’t buy it. An even bigger smile appears within.

After a lot of back & forth I decide to sit down and join the pair on the grass.

*Frank & *Tim. Our other friends joined us and we all had a delicious array of conversations in all directions between the 6 of us. With the music plaguing the air. It was like a dream.

I decided I wanted to blow some bubbles (for some strange reason there was a stand where you could do this at no cost) - One of my other strange inner-kid compulsions.


*Frank came with me.

As many of my friends would involuntarily know – I have a weak bladder. So I asked *Frank NOT to come with me as I disappeared behind the bushes to do the embarrassing.

*Frank comes along.

I squat & experience the much needed relief.

When I’m done *Frank does the same. He goes ahead and pees. Okay then.

I see a tree trunk that’s begging to be climbed. I throw off my (favourite) golden sandals & begin the ascend up the tree.


*Frank follows.

It all feels like a big chunk of a dream. The music, the sequence of events, the level of comfortableness we feel with each other, being in that tree with the feint sound of the river nearby. How did I land up here?

We talk about all kinds of things, and then the inevitable happens. His lips approach mine and then collide into a harmonious kiss. Thank God I was sitting down.

A few minutes later & I’m feeling I need to get back before Goldfish begin their performance. I’m at work you know.

He climbs off the tree before I do. Just to make sure I’ll be fine. How gallant!
I am clumsy – I need to prepare you for what happens next.

After numerous reassurances from him. I launch into a kind of semi-jump action.

THUD! Straight into the ground, into a bunch of leaves. He comes straight after me to make sure I’m okay. Pecks me all over and we laugh out loud. I fell. Typical. Can’t I be smooth for once in my life?

We go and sit on some rocks in the river stream and continue with the dreamy interaction. Time is ticking & I need to get back & I do.

We exchange numbers and promise to see each other when we get back to Cape Town.

We see each other one more time after an undeniable connection leads us to the river for one more peck on the lips.

I don’t see him again after parting ways with him at the river. All I hold, all he holds is a 10 digit number and the memory…


* Names have been changed.




No comments:

Post a Comment